Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Free and free...

I was diagnosed with celiac disease back in 2003.  Wow, that's kind of a long time ago.  It's weird that it's 2012 now, right?  Anyway, I was diagnosed and have been gluten-free since then.  The first few weeks were haaaaaard!  But my mom was amazing and so helpful-- doing research, finding and making me food, being super supportive (and remorseful over poisoning me for years and years with her Chex mix... ha!).  And recently, it's gotten even easier with companies like General Mills, making gluten-free products that don't turn to sand in your mouth.  Yay!  I can eat Chex mix now!! :) 


So I'm cool with being gluten-free.  I mean, I still have cheese.  Oh, cheese, I could eat you all day long...


... But not for the next month, minimum.  As of yesterday, I'm adding another "free" to my diet: dairy-free. 


See, sweet little Brooksy-boy has all sorts of skin issues.  You can kind of see his little inflamed cheeks here.

It started with cradle cap, but I'll tell ya-- I cannot get the boy's skin to clear up, even after a couple trips to the dermatologist.  So, since I'm nursing, I started to wonder if anything I ate could be exacerbating the issue.  So this is kind of my own homegrown science experiment.  Let's see what happens if I cut out dairy for a while (I read it's the #1 food sensitivity in breastfed babies...?). 


I've made it one day so far!  Woohoo!  Though, full-disclosure, I may have slipped some creamer into my coffee yesterday morning, so we could all make it through the day. ;) 


Any tips out there?  What's good?  I could use all the help I can get!

6 comments:

  1. my daughter has bad eczema, and the only thing that has helped (and believe me i tried everything including steroids cream) is a lotion bar that i made myself. here is the link to my recipe for it. http://sewloveit.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/lotion-bars-recipe.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He's not all that bothered by most of it, but I just want him free and clear, you know?! Thank you so much for the recipe!

      Delete
  2. It's usually the lactose that bothers little ones. You could try the lactose free dairy. There are a lot of different brands and all the kinds I have tried have all tasted pretty good. All 5 of my kids were lactose intolerant. :/ Thankfully most of them grew out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he grows out of it! Riley started off with an egg allergy which she grew out of. But both girls can eat gluten, so I'm grateful. I hope Brooks can eventually eat anything!

      Delete
  3. Good for your for trying to go dairy free for a while. If it helps him, you should still be able to add some dairy back to your diet after a little while, esp. as he gets a little older and the protein type of your milk transitions (as it does the longer you nurse/older baby gets). And good for you for breastfeeding!!! It always makes me so happy to hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of breastfeeding! Maybe because it gives me some extra snuggle time. :) I'm getting through this second day! Ha! It's easier today since I've now had a chance to get to the store. Yesterday, I just stared at the fridge and pantry, salivating over all my lost dairy. :)

      Delete

I love comments more than I love buying new fabric, and that's saying something. :)