Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Chevron-esque Circle Skirt

 I mentioned, in my last post, how I was more than happy to try my hand at the Project Run & Play pattern remix of Dana's Circle Skirt.  I love me a circle skirt: they're twirly, they look adorable, they're easy on-and-off, and they're simple to make.  And it doesn't hurt that Riley adores all her circle skirts-- I think it's the 2" elastic waist?  Not sure, but it's as good a guess as any.

So here's the deal with this circle skirt.  It actually is for Riley, but my girls (though 20 months apart) have the same waist and chest measurement.  I call Noelle my little barrel, and Riley is my skinny-mini. :)  When they got up from naps, Riley had absolutely zero desire to wear her new clothes, even after she told me she liked them and that her favorite color was pink. :)  So I asked Noelle if she wanted to model.  She did.


The skirt has an ever-so-slight Chevron feel, which is what I was going for (phew!). 


I used my (shock of all shocks) polka dot fabric stash, opting for the black and pink.  After I made the skirt, I needed to make a coordinating top.  I heart shirring, so I shirred away (say "shirr" a lot, and it sounds weird... I'm shirr of it.  Bwahahaha!).  It has a V-tie that makes a nice little bow in the back, with the tails hanging on down. 

Tangent Alert!!  This is only the sixth french braid I've ever done in my life (all on Noelle).  I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.
 

Back to the clothes... Actually, if you untuck the top, it looks adorable with leggings.  I'll have to get a shot of that later.  

And how about this for a rocker chick look.  Sidenote: my girls don't usually sport tattoos, but Riley's birthday was a special occasion, so they got inked up... temporarily. ;)

11 comments:

  1. Adorable... both the skirt and the top. You can't beat polka dot fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! We're a little polka dot crazy over here. :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress! And the black and pink look so great together! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I really like the black and pink!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I saw your link on Made in a Day. I love this dress and just realized that I have a pic. of another dress you made in one of my Pinterest board :)

    http://sarahsworld-sarahsworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me! And thanks for pinning!! I heart getting pinned. ;)

      Delete
  5. This is so adorable! What did you use under it to make it a little puffy? I really want to make it for my little one and maybe even one for her doll lol. I'm a new follower ^_^

    craftingforbliss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! You know what? That's just how the skirt lays! I think it's a combo of circle skirt awesomeness and the seams? It's pretty sweet, huh? :)

      Delete
  6. It is such a cute skirt. I absolutely love polka dots, and that's a fantastic combination! The top is perfect with it. You'd never know it's not a full dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how it looks like one piece but is a little more versatile, being separate pieces. And I always say yes to polka dots! :)

      Delete
  7. Such a cute skirt!! You did a fabulous job! Thanks for sharing on Blog Stalking Thursday!

    thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments more than I love buying new fabric, and that's saying something. :)